Upgrade or second life of Macbook MB467 (Late 2008)
Sometimes everyone who has got a computer may have a problem such like this one I am writing. The problems are: slow work and lack of resources for normal work of computer.
CPU: Intel Core Duo 2.4 GHz
CPU: Intel Core Duo 2.4 GHz
In this situation most of people think about to change old computer into more powerful one. But I hadn't got enough money to buy a new computer. So I decided to make an upgrade of my old one. I made some tests before and after the upgrade. Tests were about the temperature of CPU and hard disks, speed of OS's bootup and some programs. Then I wrote this article when I saw that the results of an upgrade exceeded the expectations.
So in this article I want to tell you how I replaced RAM, installed SSD using OptiBay rack and replaced thermal grease.
I found an idea in SeiFeR's article about using SSD as system disk, and HDD - as additional drive inside OptiBay rack instead of CD-ROM drive. I decided to increase amount of RAM from 4GB to 8 GB (but on the official website we can read that this notebook model supports up to 4GB, but then were no Mac OS 10.6.8), and replace thermal grease on CPU and GPU (tests show, that thermal grease reduces temperature of CPU).
I won't describe in detail all stages of disassembling the notebook, because there is very good information from well known iFixit group (by the way, there you can find application for iPhone and iPad):
- Installation of additional SSD using OptiBay rack;
- Removal of the cooling system;
- Replacement of the HDD;
- Replacement of the thermal grease.
It was very easy to disassemble the notebook. I made it carefully and without using physical force.
1. If you want to buy RAM you have to choose it from DataSheet or use modules with appropriate timings. I was very surprised when I saw Kingston 2GBх2 modules inside, so I chose a similar Kingston 4GBх2.
2. What about Optic Bay my good friend helped me to find it. I used certified one with very high quality (do not use china-made nonames).
3. After I read tests on Internet about thermal greases, I chose Arctic Cooling MX-4 - it has very good heat conduction (8,5).
4. I chose SSD OCZ AGT3-25SAT3-60G. I liked its combination of price/quality. It has high performance and SATA v3 interface (we can use it in future). Most of people think that 60 GB is not enough. But in practice it is totally enough for OS and most applications you need.
This is everything we have to start our work:
I opened the notebook. It was not as dusty as I expected. Dust has been accumulated for 3 years inside my notebook.
On the photos you can see how did CPU and GPU look like with old thermal grease:
After the cleaning of old thermal grease (I cleaned with simple plastic card and wiped with cotton tampon):
After the application of new thermal grease:
I noticed that the system fan is taken apart and cleaned very easily.
On the next photo you can see the completely disassembled notebook on the table:
After the careful cleaning of all parts and components, notebook was assembled for tests on new hardware.
Temperature of CPU
First of all I want to show you report with CPU temperatures. I used an application named iStats Pro available on the Apple's official website.
1. Stats of the laptop during normal operation. No applications running. 5 minutes later since OS bootup (left side - before replacing the thermal grease, right side - after replacing the thermal grease)
2. I watched the YouTube movie in 1080i quality during 1 minute.
Then I loaded two more of them in parallel.
Mac OS 10.7.4 is booting up
Stats of Mac OS Lion 10.7.4 bootup are shown on next picture. DropBox, iTunes, Safari and iFile are in autostart.
Booting test of Windows XP in Parallels is shown next.
Boot time was - 47 sec
New boot time - 7 sec
For the better work of SSD I recommend to turn on TRIM, you can use TRIM Enabler v 2.1. It works without any problem.
At the end I want to add that I am satisfied with the results. Now it is very comfortable to work on my laptop. It is easy-going, programs are opened very quickly as on iPad or iPhone (Photoshop for example loads for 1-2 sеc). I did the tests only for myself, but I decided to share this useful information with you.
Prices for upgrade:
- SSD OCZ AGT3-25SAT3-60G - 78$;
- Optical Bay (OptiBay) - 43$;
- Arctic Cooling MX-4 - 8$;
- Two RAM modules Kingston KVR1066D3S7/4G - 50$.